View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Official Canadian Pricing Released for Camaro 
Senior Forum User

Oh really? Then explain to me why the US destination charge is 1/2 the Canadian charge?

That's a really good question?

Where can we find the answer to this?

Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:45 pm
Profile WWW
Senior Forum User

C Man wrote:
396LT4 wrote:
Daz wrote:

there's more to fuel cost and distance to determine freight charge..Volume, Location, regulation etc..also plays a role

I don't understand, please explain. I don't care how many cars you send to California, how could that possibly cost GM less than shipping a car a couple of miles? What kind of regulation is involved? Are you saying that Canadian governments mandate that a minimum amount be charged for destination charges?

I think you're being a little Toronto-centric Hillar.

They will be selling Camaro's in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal and even the East Coast... it's a Canadian price not a Toronto price.

Oh really? Then explain to me why the US destination charge is 1/2 the Canadian charge? Does it cost twice as much to ship a car to Vancouver than LA? No, it is just evidence of GM screwing Canadian consumers once again. Also, why not be consistent with the US policy and just include it in the list price?

are cars part of the free trade agreement or does gm get hit with a huge tax, just like the insane taxes we pay getting auto parts over here

Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:53 pm
CCFBG Club Member

nascar tata wrote:
Is the 6 banger even an option? IMHO it isn't (for Camaro and Challenger).

For most people, it is the only option.

For the Camaro to succeed... they will be selling A LOT more v6's than their v8 counterparts.... and I think with over 300hp in the V6's... it'll be a great option for the commute to work/grocery store/school to pick up the kids.

I think we need to remember that most car buyers out there are NOT car enthusiasts like us on this site.... and we need these average car buyers to make this product successful.

I agree the Mustang survived when the F body cars did not because the regular V6 sales were high enough to make the cars we really want profitable enough for GM / Ford

1978 WS6 W72 TransAm
2008 CTS DD1
2011 Honda CRV DD2
2002 Mazda Miata SE Top Down Fun

Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:47 pm
Junior Forum User

Oh really? Then explain to me why the US destination charge is 1/2 the Canadian charge? Does it cost twice as much to ship a car to Vancouver than LA? No, it is just evidence of GM screwing Canadian consumers once again. Also, why not be consistent with the US policy and just include it in the list price?

I'm not comparing city to city... I wouldn't have a clue what it would be for a company to ship their vehicles, just that we keep on bringing up the fact that the Camaro was built in Ontario, so we should have less of a surcharge. Nobody is complaing about it when the cars are made in the US and shipped up here. Or better yet, when the cars are made in Europe or Japan.

As far as consistant with US policy... we're not in the US... and in Canada, other prices from other car companies are priced in the same manner. Did your Subaru include the surcharge in the advertised price? How much was that surcharge since it was, I assume, not built in North America

----------------------------

Cars, just like most other consumer products are rarely priced based on what they cost... but on the characteristics of the markets they are being sold in... and what consumers are willing to pay.

Sure we can compare US and CDN pricing... but in reality, most consumers are not going to the US to buy their cars... they are choosing between dealerships, and this is what we need to be looking at. And in that respect, it seems that GM has done a pretty good job.

Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:34 pm
Senior Forum User

I agree the Mustang survived when the F body cars did not because the regular V6 sales were high enough to make the cars we really want profitable enough for GM / Ford

Somehow the Mustang is just more suited for a V6. maybe its the car's size.

Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:47 pm
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

396LT4 wrote:

I'm not comparing city to city... I wouldn't have a clue what it would be for a company to ship their vehicles, just that we keep on bringing up the fact that the Camaro was built in Ontario, so we should have less of a surcharge. Nobody is complaing about it when the cars are made in the US and shipped up here. Or better yet, when the cars are made in Europe or Japan.

As far as consistant with US policy... we're not in the US... and in Canada, other prices from other car companies are priced in the same manner. Did your Subaru include the surcharge in the advertised price? How much was that surcharge since it was, I assume, not built in North America

Cars, just like most other consumer products are rarely priced based on what they cost... but on the characteristics of the markets they are being sold in... and what consumers are willing to pay.

Sure we can compare US and CDN pricing... but in reality, most consumers are not going to the US to buy their cars... they are choosing between dealerships, and this is what we need to be looking at. And in that respect, it seems that GM has done a pretty good job.

When we buy fruit in the winter that has to be shipped from Florida, Mexico or California, we pay more than people in Texas or South Carolina because it has to be shipped a greater distance and the price has to reflect that. Sellers are not going to eat the transportation cost out of the goodness of their heart, people pay it. It's the same with things up north. You go to Timmins and things cost more than they do here because of the shipping costs. The same applies to Yellowknife. If the so called "destination" charge is going to be a constant amount, regardless of where the vehicle will be shipped and the actual cost in so doing, it is total BS to even call it a destination charge, whatever the manufacturer needs to cover this cost should just be built into the cost of the car and let's be done with it. But if a manufacturer choses to break it out, then there has to be some justification for it, and there is absolutely no justification whatsoever to charge Canadians twice as much for this component as Americans, regardless of the real cost, and it is even more insulting that it is broken out as separate charge which further increases the price differential between US and Canadian pricing. I do agree with you on one thing, that a seller will charge what he thinks he can get away with, and in this case it is clear that GM feels fine in screwing Canadian consumers by charging them twice as much as they charge Americans. This is a highly transparent example, and whatever certain Asian or European manufacturers may charge for transportation is irrelevant to this particular situation. I have no doubt that sales of new Camaro will on a per capita basis be proportionately less in Canada, and pricing will be a large part of the reason for that.

97 M6 Z28, polo green, tan top
"just a big, heavy, slow, iron block convertible"

Statler: I have every right to be cranky...and heckle.

Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:58 pm
Administrator

I stuck the 2 threads for now, IF GM still makes this car I will make it's own section for it later.

Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:54 pm
Forum User

C Man wrote:
396LT4 wrote:

When we buy fruit in the winter that has to be shipped from Florida, Mexico or California, we pay more than people in Texas or South Carolina because it has to be shipped a greater distance and the price has to reflect that. Sellers are not going to eat the transportation cost out of the goodness of their heart, people pay it. It's the same with things up north. You go to Timmins and things cost more than they do here because of the shipping costs. The same applies to Yellowknife. If the so called "destination" charge is going to be a constant amount, regardless of where the vehicle will be shipped and the actual cost in so doing, it is total BS to even call it a destination charge, whatever the manufacturer needs to cover this cost should just be built into the cost of the car and let's be done with it. But if a manufacturer choses to break it out, then there has to be some justification for it, and there is absolutely no justification whatsoever to charge Canadians twice as much for this component as Americans, regardless of the real cost, and it is even more insulting that it is broken out as separate charge which further increases the price differential between US and Canadian pricing. I do agree with you on one thing, that a seller will charge what he thinks he can get away with, and in this case it is clear that GM feels fine in screwing Canadian consumers by charging them twice as much as they charge Americans. This is a highly transparent example, and whatever certain Asian or European manufacturers may charge for transportation is irrelevant to this particular situation. I have no doubt that sales of new Camaro will on a per capita basis be proportionately less in Canada, and pricing will be a large part of the reason for that.

They average shipping chargesacross the province to level the playing field for all dealers. Otherwise everyone who wanted a Camaro would buy fromthe dealers in Oshawa cause they would only pay like $10 for shipping and the rest would be at an unfair disadvantage. I beleive the shipping contracts GM has with the carriers is only Country wide not North American wide. Now just thinkin out load here for a moment. Most of the plants arein central and eastern U.S. Two of the largest volume states are here so more volume closer would bring the average cost down yes no. My take anyway.

1976 - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/629023
1989 - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3304398
1971 gto - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2452425

Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:01 pm
CCFBG Club Member

I THINK IS VERY EXPENSIVE TO FIGHT WITH THE MUSTANG AND ETC!

Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:52 pm
CCFBG Club Member

It sux that we pay more for destination charges especially when Canadian auto sales have not slumped like the US market has...but the carriers are different companies and the cost of doing business in Canada is higher due to wages,fuel cost ect. We are also a smaller market spread over a larger part of the map...still can't wait for that Camaro to hit the streets.

CURRENTLY INBETWEEN RIDES

Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:49 pm
Junior Forum User

It sux that we pay more for destination charges especially when Canadian auto sales have not slumped like the US market has...but the carriers are different companies and the cost of doing business in Canada is higher due to wages,fuel cost ect. We are also a smaller market spread over a larger part of the map...still can't wait for that Camaro to hit the streets.

I dunno... a base Camaro 2SS costs 40,995 + 1400 frt. = 42,395 in Canada.

The same car in the U.S. costs 34,180 incl. the $750 frt. charge..
34,180 converted to $CDN @ the current 20% exchange rate = CDN$41,016

Yeah.. there's a bit of a difference... and it's not exactly in our favour... but would it be a deal breaker for you?

I'm thinkin' that the difference is a whole lot less than what most people might be expecting... certainly not enough motivation to go car shopping in the U.S.

If I'm wrong on this, please let me know.

Best regardSS,

Elie

Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:44 pm
Forum Moderator

FOWL PLAY wrote:

Yeah.. there's a bit of a difference... and it's not exactly in our favour... but would it be a deal breaker for you?

I'm thinkin' that the difference is a whole lot less than what most people might be expecting... certainly not enough motivation to go car shopping in the U.S.

Best regardSS,

Elie

you are right, its not that much difference, unfortunately that wont matter, people see it as an extra cost, and if GM would just put that cost in the price to start with(and never mentioned a charge) nobody would be complaining. To me its like a cell phone plan, they use a low number to get people to sign up, than tack on fees once they get you in the door.

Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:41 pm
Junior Forum User

garfin wrote:
FOWL PLAY wrote:

Best regardSS,

Elie

you are right, its not that much difference, unfortunately that wont matter, people see it as an extra cost, and if GM would just put that cost in the price to start with(and never mentioned a charge) nobody would be complaining. To me its like a cell phone plan, they use a low number to get people to sign up, than tack on fees once they get you in the door.

I agree with you 110%. Having owned and operated my own retail business for 17 years, I have no doubt whatsoever, that anyone who sees the destination charge tacked on to the MSRP - especially when the Americans include it in their MSRP, will be left with a bad taste in their mouth as a direct result.
I've passed these thoughts on to Chris Hay, who up until last week, was the marketing manger for Camaro in Canada... the bottom line is that this is the decision that GM Canada has made with respect to the price structure of the car and how it will be marketed.
I only hope that this approach does not turn off very many people as every sale of this car is very important to GM.

Best regardSS,

Elie

Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:44 am
CCFBG Club Member

mikesz1984 wrote:
garfin wrote:
FOWL PLAY wrote:

Best regardSS,

Elie

I agree with you 110%. Having owned and operated my own retail business for 17 years, I have no doubt whatsoever, that anyone who sees the destination charge tacked on to the MSRP - especially when the Americans include it in their MSRP, will be left with a bad taste in their mouth as a direct result.
I've passed these thoughts on to Chris Hay, who up until last week, was the marketing manger for Camaro in Canada... the bottom line is that this is the decision that GM Canada has made with respect to the price structure of the car and how it will be marketed.
I only hope that this approach does not turn off very many people as every sale of this car is very important to GM.

Best regardSS,

Elie
+gst :cry: I guess at the current exchange rate US and CAN bottom line price is pretty close...CAN dealers better hope the dollar doesn't rebound back where it was a year ago or everyone will be cross border car shopping again...I know I would.

CURRENTLY INBETWEEN RIDES

Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3