View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 6:34 am



Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Official Canadian Pricing Released for Camaro 
Author Message
Senior Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:36 am
Posts: 616
Location: Brampton
Reply with quote
Post 
396LT4 wrote:
Oh really? Then explain to me why the US destination charge is 1/2 the Canadian charge?



That's a really good question?

Where can we find the answer to this?


Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:45 pm
Profile WWW
Senior Forum User

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:50 pm
Posts: 660
Reply with quote
Post 
396LT4 wrote:
C Man wrote:
396LT4 wrote:
Daz wrote:

there's more to fuel cost and distance to determine freight charge..Volume, Location, regulation etc..also plays a role


I don't understand, please explain. I don't care how many cars you send to California, how could that possibly cost GM less than shipping a car a couple of miles? What kind of regulation is involved? Are you saying that Canadian governments mandate that a minimum amount be charged for destination charges?


I think you're being a little Toronto-centric Hillar.

They will be selling Camaro's in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal and even the East Coast... it's a Canadian price not a Toronto price.


Oh really? Then explain to me why the US destination charge is 1/2 the Canadian charge? Does it cost twice as much to ship a car to Vancouver than LA? No, it is just evidence of GM screwing Canadian consumers once again. Also, why not be consistent with the US policy and just include it in the list price?


are cars part of the free trade agreement or does gm get hit with a huge tax, just like the insane taxes we pay getting auto parts over here


Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:53 pm
Profile
CCFBG Club Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:38 pm
Posts: 819
Location: Mississauga
Reply with quote
Post 
C Man wrote:
nascar tata wrote:
Is the 6 banger even an option? IMHO it isn't (for Camaro and Challenger).


For most people, it is the only option.

For the Camaro to succeed... they will be selling A LOT more v6's than their v8 counterparts.... and I think with over 300hp in the V6's... it'll be a great option for the commute to work/grocery store/school to pick up the kids.

I think we need to remember that most car buyers out there are NOT car enthusiasts like us on this site.... and we need these average car buyers to make this product successful.


I agree the Mustang survived when the F body cars did not because the regular V6 sales were high enough to make the cars we really want profitable enough for GM / Ford

_________________
Image

1978 WS6 W72 TransAm
2008 CTS DD1
2011 Honda CRV DD2
2002 Mazda Miata SE Top Down Fun


Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:47 pm
Profile
Junior Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:26 pm
Posts: 15
Location: Toronto
Reply with quote
Post 
396LT4 wrote:
Oh really? Then explain to me why the US destination charge is 1/2 the Canadian charge? Does it cost twice as much to ship a car to Vancouver than LA? No, it is just evidence of GM screwing Canadian consumers once again. Also, why not be consistent with the US policy and just include it in the list price?


I'm not comparing city to city... I wouldn't have a clue what it would be for a company to ship their vehicles, just that we keep on bringing up the fact that the Camaro was built in Ontario, so we should have less of a surcharge. Nobody is complaing about it when the cars are made in the US and shipped up here. Or better yet, when the cars are made in Europe or Japan.

As far as consistant with US policy... we're not in the US... and in Canada, other prices from other car companies are priced in the same manner. Did your Subaru include the surcharge in the advertised price? How much was that surcharge since it was, I assume, not built in North America

----------------------------

Cars, just like most other consumer products are rarely priced based on what they cost... but on the characteristics of the markets they are being sold in... and what consumers are willing to pay.

Sure we can compare US and CDN pricing... but in reality, most consumers are not going to the US to buy their cars... they are choosing between dealerships, and this is what we need to be looking at. And in that respect, it seems that GM has done a pretty good job.


Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:34 pm
Profile
Senior Forum User
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:36 am
Posts: 616
Location: Brampton
Reply with quote
Post 
Whitebandit wrote:
I agree the Mustang survived when the F body cars did not because the regular V6 sales were high enough to make the cars we really want profitable enough for GM / Ford



Somehow the Mustang is just more suited for a V6. maybe its the car's size.


Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:47 pm
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:03 pm
Posts: 183
Location: somewhere east of Yonge St.
Reply with quote
Post 
C Man wrote:
396LT4 wrote:
Oh really? Then explain to me why the US destination charge is 1/2 the Canadian charge? Does it cost twice as much to ship a car to Vancouver than LA? No, it is just evidence of GM screwing Canadian consumers once again. Also, why not be consistent with the US policy and just include it in the list price?


I'm not comparing city to city... I wouldn't have a clue what it would be for a company to ship their vehicles, just that we keep on bringing up the fact that the Camaro was built in Ontario, so we should have less of a surcharge. Nobody is complaing about it when the cars are made in the US and shipped up here. Or better yet, when the cars are made in Europe or Japan.

As far as consistant with US policy... we're not in the US... and in Canada, other prices from other car companies are priced in the same manner. Did your Subaru include the surcharge in the advertised price? How much was that surcharge since it was, I assume, not built in North America

----------------------------

Cars, just like most other consumer products are rarely priced based on what they cost... but on the characteristics of the markets they are being sold in... and what consumers are willing to pay.

Sure we can compare US and CDN pricing... but in reality, most consumers are not going to the US to buy their cars... they are choosing between dealerships, and this is what we need to be looking at. And in that respect, it seems that GM has done a pretty good job.


When we buy fruit in the winter that has to be shipped from Florida, Mexico or California, we pay more than people in Texas or South Carolina because it has to be shipped a greater distance and the price has to reflect that. Sellers are not going to eat the transportation cost out of the goodness of their heart, people pay it. It's the same with things up north. You go to Timmins and things cost more than they do here because of the shipping costs. The same applies to Yellowknife. If the so called "destination" charge is going to be a constant amount, regardless of where the vehicle will be shipped and the actual cost in so doing, it is total BS to even call it a destination charge, whatever the manufacturer needs to cover this cost should just be built into the cost of the car and let's be done with it. But if a manufacturer choses to break it out, then there has to be some justification for it, and there is absolutely no justification whatsoever to charge Canadians twice as much for this component as Americans, regardless of the real cost, and it is even more insulting that it is broken out as separate charge which further increases the price differential between US and Canadian pricing. I do agree with you on one thing, that a seller will charge what he thinks he can get away with, and in this case it is clear that GM feels fine in screwing Canadian consumers by charging them twice as much as they charge Americans. This is a highly transparent example, and whatever certain Asian or European manufacturers may charge for transportation is irrelevant to this particular situation. I have no doubt that sales of new Camaro will on a per capita basis be proportionately less in Canada, and pricing will be a large part of the reason for that.

_________________
Hillar

97 M6 Z28, polo green, tan top
"just a big, heavy, slow, iron block convertible"

Statler: I have every right to be cranky...and heckle.


Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:58 pm
Profile
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:34 pm
Posts: 5848
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Reply with quote
Post 
I stuck the 2 threads for now, IF GM still makes this car I will make it's own section for it later.

_________________
Image


Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:54 pm
Profile
Forum User

Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:18 pm
Posts: 92
Location: woodstock
Reply with quote
Post 
396LT4 wrote:
C Man wrote:
396LT4 wrote:
Oh really? Then explain to me why the US destination charge is 1/2 the Canadian charge? Does it cost twice as much to ship a car to Vancouver than LA? No, it is just evidence of GM screwing Canadian consumers once again. Also, why not be consistent with the US policy and just include it in the list price?


I'm not comparing city to city... I wouldn't have a clue what it would be for a company to ship their vehicles, just that we keep on bringing up the fact that the Camaro was built in Ontario, so we should have less of a surcharge. Nobody is complaing about it when the cars are made in the US and shipped up here. Or better yet, when the cars are made in Europe or Japan.

As far as consistant with US policy... we're not in the US... and in Canada, other prices from other car companies are priced in the same manner. Did your Subaru include the surcharge in the advertised price? How much was that surcharge since it was, I assume, not built in North America

----------------------------

Cars, just like most other consumer products are rarely priced based on what they cost... but on the characteristics of the markets they are being sold in... and what consumers are willing to pay.

Sure we can compare US and CDN pricing... but in reality, most consumers are not going to the US to buy their cars... they are choosing between dealerships, and this is what we need to be looking at. And in that respect, it seems that GM has done a pretty good job.


When we buy fruit in the winter that has to be shipped from Florida, Mexico or California, we pay more than people in Texas or South Carolina because it has to be shipped a greater distance and the price has to reflect that. Sellers are not going to eat the transportation cost out of the goodness of their heart, people pay it. It's the same with things up north. You go to Timmins and things cost more than they do here because of the shipping costs. The same applies to Yellowknife. If the so called "destination" charge is going to be a constant amount, regardless of where the vehicle will be shipped and the actual cost in so doing, it is total BS to even call it a destination charge, whatever the manufacturer needs to cover this cost should just be built into the cost of the car and let's be done with it. But if a manufacturer choses to break it out, then there has to be some justification for it, and there is absolutely no justification whatsoever to charge Canadians twice as much for this component as Americans, regardless of the real cost, and it is even more insulting that it is broken out as separate charge which further increases the price differential between US and Canadian pricing. I do agree with you on one thing, that a seller will charge what he thinks he can get away with, and in this case it is clear that GM feels fine in screwing Canadian consumers by charging them twice as much as they charge Americans. This is a highly transparent example, and whatever certain Asian or European manufacturers may charge for transportation is irrelevant to this particular situation. I have no doubt that sales of new Camaro will on a per capita basis be proportionately less in Canada, and pricing will be a large part of the reason for that.



They average shipping chargesacross the province to level the playing field for all dealers. Otherwise everyone who wanted a Camaro would buy fromthe dealers in Oshawa cause they would only pay like $10 for shipping and the rest would be at an unfair disadvantage. I beleive the shipping contracts GM has with the carriers is only Country wide not North American wide. Now just thinkin out load here for a moment. Most of the plants arein central and eastern U.S. Two of the largest volume states are here so more volume closer would bring the average cost down yes no. My take anyway.

_________________
1980 - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2435600
1988 - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2435599
1995 - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2435597
1976 - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/629023
1989 - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3304398
1971 gto - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2452425


Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:01 pm
Profile
CCFBG Club Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:41 pm
Posts: 1091
Location: Toronto
Reply with quote
Post 
I THINK IS VERY EXPENSIVE TO FIGHT WITH THE MUSTANG AND ETC!

_________________
Image


Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:52 pm
Profile
CCFBG Club Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:01 pm
Posts: 1061
Location: Barrie
Reply with quote
Post 
It sux that we pay more for destination charges especially when Canadian auto sales have not slumped like the US market has...but the carriers are different companies and the cost of doing business in Canada is higher due to wages,fuel cost ect. We are also a smaller market spread over a larger part of the map...still can't wait for that Camaro to hit the streets.

_________________
Image
1995 FORMULA

CURRENTLY INBETWEEN RIDES


Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:49 pm
Profile
Junior Forum User

Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:19 am
Posts: 12
Reply with quote
Post 
FOWL PLAY wrote:
It sux that we pay more for destination charges especially when Canadian auto sales have not slumped like the US market has...but the carriers are different companies and the cost of doing business in Canada is higher due to wages,fuel cost ect. We are also a smaller market spread over a larger part of the map...still can't wait for that Camaro to hit the streets.


I dunno... a base Camaro 2SS costs 40,995 + 1400 frt. = 42,395 in Canada.

The same car in the U.S. costs 34,180 incl. the $750 frt. charge..
34,180 converted to $CDN @ the current 20% exchange rate = CDN$41,016

Yeah.. there's a bit of a difference... and it's not exactly in our favour... but would it be a deal breaker for you?

I'm thinkin' that the difference is a whole lot less than what most people might be expecting... certainly not enough motivation to go car shopping in the U.S.

If I'm wrong on this, please let me know.

Best regardSS,

Elie

_________________
'10 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray
'98 Camaro SS - SOLD


Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:44 pm
Profile
Forum Moderator

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:54 am
Posts: 1840
Location: ingersoll
Reply with quote
Post 
garfin wrote:
FOWL PLAY wrote:
It sux that we pay more for destination charges especially when Canadian auto sales have not slumped like the US market has...but the carriers are different companies and the cost of doing business in Canada is higher due to wages,fuel cost ect. We are also a smaller market spread over a larger part of the map...still can't wait for that Camaro to hit the streets.


I dunno... a base Camaro 2SS costs 40,995 + 1400 frt. = 42,395 in Canada.

The same car in the U.S. costs 34,180 incl. the $750 frt. charge..
34,180 converted to $CDN @ the current 20% exchange rate = CDN$41,016

Yeah.. there's a bit of a difference... and it's not exactly in our favour... but would it be a deal breaker for you?

I'm thinkin' that the difference is a whole lot less than what most people might be expecting... certainly not enough motivation to go car shopping in the U.S.

If I'm wrong on this, please let me know.

Best regardSS,

Elie


you are right, its not that much difference, unfortunately that wont matter, people see it as an extra cost, and if GM would just put that cost in the price to start with(and never mentioned a charge) nobody would be complaining. To me its like a cell phone plan, they use a low number to get people to sign up, than tack on fees once they get you in the door.

_________________
355, trickflow heads, comp cams roller cam, compcams rollertip rockers. First fuel injection, t56, hooker headers, dynomax exhaust.


Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:41 pm
Profile
Junior Forum User

Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:19 am
Posts: 12
Reply with quote
Post 
mikesz1984 wrote:
garfin wrote:
FOWL PLAY wrote:
It sux that we pay more for destination charges especially when Canadian auto sales have not slumped like the US market has...but the carriers are different companies and the cost of doing business in Canada is higher due to wages,fuel cost ect. We are also a smaller market spread over a larger part of the map...still can't wait for that Camaro to hit the streets.


I dunno... a base Camaro 2SS costs 40,995 + 1400 frt. = 42,395 in Canada.

The same car in the U.S. costs 34,180 incl. the $750 frt. charge..
34,180 converted to $CDN @ the current 20% exchange rate = CDN$41,016

Yeah.. there's a bit of a difference... and it's not exactly in our favour... but would it be a deal breaker for you?

I'm thinkin' that the difference is a whole lot less than what most people might be expecting... certainly not enough motivation to go car shopping in the U.S.

If I'm wrong on this, please let me know.

Best regardSS,

Elie


you are right, its not that much difference, unfortunately that wont matter, people see it as an extra cost, and if GM would just put that cost in the price to start with(and never mentioned a charge) nobody would be complaining. To me its like a cell phone plan, they use a low number to get people to sign up, than tack on fees once they get you in the door.

I agree with you 110%. Having owned and operated my own retail business for 17 years, I have no doubt whatsoever, that anyone who sees the destination charge tacked on to the MSRP - especially when the Americans include it in their MSRP, will be left with a bad taste in their mouth as a direct result.
I've passed these thoughts on to Chris Hay, who up until last week, was the marketing manger for Camaro in Canada... the bottom line is that this is the decision that GM Canada has made with respect to the price structure of the car and how it will be marketed.
I only hope that this approach does not turn off very many people as every sale of this car is very important to GM.

Best regardSS,

Elie

_________________
'10 CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray
'98 Camaro SS - SOLD


Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:44 am
Profile
CCFBG Club Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:01 pm
Posts: 1061
Location: Barrie
Reply with quote
Post 
garfin wrote:
mikesz1984 wrote:
garfin wrote:
FOWL PLAY wrote:
It sux that we pay more for destination charges especially when Canadian auto sales have not slumped like the US market has...but the carriers are different companies and the cost of doing business in Canada is higher due to wages,fuel cost ect. We are also a smaller market spread over a larger part of the map...still can't wait for that Camaro to hit the streets.


I dunno... a base Camaro 2SS costs 40,995 + 1400 frt. = 42,395 in Canada.

The same car in the U.S. costs 34,180 incl. the $750 frt. charge..
34,180 converted to $CDN @ the current 20% exchange rate = CDN$41,016

Yeah.. there's a bit of a difference... and it's not exactly in our favour... but would it be a deal breaker for you?

I'm thinkin' that the difference is a whole lot less than what most people might be expecting... certainly not enough motivation to go car shopping in the U.S.

If I'm wrong on this, please let me know.

Best regardSS,

Elie


you are right, its not that much difference, unfortunately that wont matter, people see it as an extra cost, and if GM would just put that cost in the price to start with(and never mentioned a charge) nobody would be complaining. To me its like a cell phone plan, they use a low number to get people to sign up, than tack on fees once they get you in the door.

I agree with you 110%. Having owned and operated my own retail business for 17 years, I have no doubt whatsoever, that anyone who sees the destination charge tacked on to the MSRP - especially when the Americans include it in their MSRP, will be left with a bad taste in their mouth as a direct result.
I've passed these thoughts on to Chris Hay, who up until last week, was the marketing manger for Camaro in Canada... the bottom line is that this is the decision that GM Canada has made with respect to the price structure of the car and how it will be marketed.
I only hope that this approach does not turn off very many people as every sale of this car is very important to GM.

Best regardSS,

Elie
+gst :cry: I guess at the current exchange rate US and CAN bottom line price is pretty close...CAN dealers better hope the dollar doesn't rebound back where it was a year ago or everyone will be cross border car shopping again...I know I would.

_________________
Image
1995 FORMULA

CURRENTLY INBETWEEN RIDES


Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:16 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.