View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Headers install info 
CCFBG Club Member

Post Headers install info
Hi to all! What are the odds of breaking a rusted header bolts. Trying to install my headers, but the bolts is rusted. I don't want to take a chance on breaking them. Anyone had this kinda scenario?. I don't want a small job turn into a costly job. Need transam tech advice please.:)

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:01 pm
Operations Team

Post Re: Headers install info
Chances of breaking the header bolts are slim but breaking the collector bolts of the y pipe its going to happen. I think i broke 4/6 but your not going to have to reuse them so your fine. One thing i would do is and highly suggest this is getting the car jacked up as high as possible and for a day or two and spraying PB blaster over all the bolts headers and y pipe. I let mine sit for a few days jacked up and every night i would come home and soak all the bolts. The headers bolts came out no problem and were actually not that tight suprisingly. Depending what headers you have you may have to remove the bolt for the motor mounts and jack the motor up to get some room to slide it in. Worked out very nicely. Be prepared to have your hands cut up its not fun LOL.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:25 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

I have broken a header bolt before, not fun, lucky for me I had enough left sticking out that I put a nut over what was left and welded them together and I think the heat from the welding helped as it then came out, still was a royal pain in the butt :evil:

I have also stripped an alum head before putting headers on, had to helix it, again, not fun :sar

to sum it up, don't let me do headers, lol :rotflol

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:44 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Hawk wrote:
I have also stripped an alum head before putting headers on, had to helix it, again, not fun :sar

You were some grumpy that day :)

9.06@155 mph, small block pump gas with 3.42's bird
8.14@166 mph, big block on 250 shot monza

Sun May 05, 2013 11:34 am
Senior Forum User

sweettransam wrote:
Hi to all! What are the odds of breaking a rusted header bolts. Trying to install my headers, but the bolts is rusted. I don't want to take a chance on breaking them. Anyone had this kinda scenario?. I don't want a small job turn into a costly job. Need transam tech advice please.:)

def possible, just nuke them with pbblaster, wd40 that sort of stuff for a day or two, and should help/reduce the chances of it.

95ta 1 3/4 SLP headers, 3'' Mangaflow catback & hi flo cat, Hypertech airfoil, Moroso CAI, LT4 Knock Module, msd wires,2600 stall, stage 1 shift kit, vette servos, 3inch band, few other goodies, 2-10'' woofers , pioneer + JBL mids, alpine deck, KYB AGX shocks, eibach springs
1984 Trans Am - Sold

Sun May 05, 2013 11:58 am
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

Mr Bastard wrote:
Hawk wrote:

You were some grumpy that day :)

Yes, yes I was, how could you tell? I tried to hide it from you ;)

Sun May 05, 2013 6:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]