View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 New guy w/ a 6 cylinder. 
CCFBG Club Member

Post Re: New guy w/ a 6 cylinder.
transamtom wrote:
6speedIROC wrote:
Nice build for sure!
Great to see something different with some cool fabrication involved.

I'd be afraid of the LS1 driveshaft. They're not known for strength..
I swapped mine out when I got drag radials for a PST unit with solid cryo joints.

They are ok until you hook or drop the clutch at 5000 rpm :lol:

Ass :lol: :oops:

That is to wild...a 60* V6 thats faster then most V8's..amazing!

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: BTR Cam, Long Tubes, 3" Catback, UDP, CAI Intake, Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Poly Diff Bushings, Toe Arms, Poly Subframe, Poly Radius-Rod bushings, ZL1 Suede Shifter, ZL1 Mounts, Arun Tuned - 475rwhp 443rwtq
11.97 @ 116 w/ 1.85 60'

Listen To Song Of My People!

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:00 pm
Profile WWW
Junior Forum User

Ok, got the engine in, it replaces my 3500 (which still runs fine, I'm going to install it into my 86 Fiero) :)

Basically an internally stock LZ9 :

60# Mini Siemens injectors
Proform elec. waterpump
TCE timing cover / thermostat outlet
TCE external crank trigger
WOT Tech Street Strip Turbo Cam with pushrods
PAC springs
TCE SBC cam bearing spacers
Durabond SBC cam bearings
75mm GM Truck TB
LZ4 intake manifold (ported)

Pass side mount, was real easy to make, easier than the old 3500 mount it replaced on account of it all being on one plane whereas the 3500 mount had 3 different angles to it.

Other side is my 3500 mount, so nothing new there, bolts right up...

All kinds of room for my turbo, there's PLENTY of room under the alt. for a 4" downpipe, should I ever require one... 3.5" will do for now :

New Kirkey racing seat, i got the 16" wide Pro Drag with a velour cover. It's very comfy and has all provisions for 5 pt harness, the hole for the submarine strap, ect. for when I get my rollbar installed.

I ordered a bolt in Racecraft mounting bracket for it so I can bolt the thing in. I was going to make brackets, but these are soo nice.

And finally I have to re-do some of the charge piping cause I want to run a little bit of 3" before i hit the 75mm LS1 throttle body. Started off by making this 2.5" to 3" cone and will incorporate that someplace into the charge pipes when I get that all figured out.

I ordered a V8 model radiator as my rad hose connections don't work soo well with this 3900. The inlet/outlets on a V8 rad are opposite the V6, left right bottom upper are all criss-crossed so that'll work and be cleaner looking.

Got rid of the power steering with an S10 gearbox and re-used the F-body pitman arm :

Made a mount for the turbo. Still need to run the exhaust to it and it is *TIGHT*. There is a plumbing nightmare under that thing, but it will work out and the 3.5" downpipe clears everything. It's super tight. Don't have anything welded yet, but it's getting close. The driver's side will be a breaze after figuring the pass side mess out.

As you can see the turbo is mounted alot lower in the engine compartment compared to my old setup so that the dp can go under the alt.

Alt. clearance is tight.

I'm happy with the placement of the turbo, I prefer a "north/south" location so that the exhaust goes straight back, I like that look better. The hotside will use stock manifolds instead of custom headers like my old engine had.

I bought some 4" radius bends and they aren't even close so I busted out the pie cut bends for the pass. side.... lol It's honestly the only way I can make this work. I ended up with about a 1.50" radius. It was either that tight bend, or running an extra 18"-20" of pipe that would be like a total of 270* of bends to get where I needed to go.

I'm hoping I can have both wastegates on either side of the motor somewhat symmetrical looking.

Installed the new intercooler it's an Ebay special CXracing 31X12X4 unit. These seem to get good reviews online,so I decided to get one. My old IC had both inlets on the same side and it was alot of extra piping and very tight bends to get it all to work. The piping for this one will be alot cleaner and less cramped.

Hopefully the cooler intake charge will offset the shear weight of this heavy thing !! haha.

...more to come. Sorry about the brutal pics, I'll get better ones next time.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:15 am
CCFBG Club Member

Why would you run 2 wastegates with a single turbo, right at the collector for the turbo I would think controls the boost better then a gate 2 feet away ?

9.06@155 mph, small block pump gas with 3.42's bird
8.14@166 mph, big block on 250 shot monza

Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:25 am
Junior Forum User

Good question, my answer is basically that I have no clue :)

It's a PITA to do it that way too, and I had asked the question on other forums and never really got a good answer with real life actual results of what is the best way to do it for a V6.

Apparently, from what I read online, You'll acheive a better spool on a twinscroll housing if you have it setup this way

The answer I got was something like this :

Since my firing order is 1,2,3,4,5,6 and I have 1-3-5 seperated from 2-4-6 all the way to the turbine is should provide greater scavenging. Exhaust pulse from 1 will never interfere with 2 as they are seperated all the way to the turbine wheel so it should help reversion I guess.

If I cut a gaping 2" hole right in my collector and run a 50mm gate (effectivly joining both banks), technically speaking I might lose spool and efficiency..

I have also read that this is alot more of an issue with a 4 cylinder, less with a V6 and even less with a V8 since the pulses are all much closer together, makes sense in theory I guess ?

I pretty much got tired of reading about why to do it or not do it and went ahead and did it.

PLUS, these 38mm gates are ebay special Tial knockoffs and are like 1/6th of the price of a real gate and work flawless, so it's not like the $$ was a factor.

I'm pretty sure that the gate that will end up being about 2' away will respond fine because the gate will be in a very nice flowing spot, on the outer radius of a 90* bend which means it will flow out of there really well. Of course the vaccum line ends up being longer as well, but I'm pretty sure this Greddy EBC will control everything just fine.

I might actually have the room to stick both of them on the pass side of the throttle body, maybe I will explore this option further.

I found this on some Mitsu site just now, explains it better than I ever could...

Quote:
About Twin Scroll: Twin scroll turbo system design addresses many of the shortcomings of single scroll turbo systems by separating those cylinders whose exhaust gas pulses interfere with each other. Similar in concept to pairing cylinders on race headers for N/A engines, twin scroll design pairs cylinders to one side of the turbine inlet so that the kinetic energy from the exhaust gases is recovered more efficiently by the turbine. For example, if a four-cylinder engine’s firing sequence is 1-3-4-2, cylinder 1 is ending its expansion stroke and opening its exhaust valves while cylinder 2 still has its exhaust valves open (while in its overlap period, where both the intake and exhaust valves are partially open at the same time). In a single scroll AKA undivided manifold, the exhaust gas pressure pulse from cylinder 1 is therefore going to interfere with cylinder 2’s ability to expel its exhaust gases, rather than delivering it undisturbed to the turbo’s turbine the way a twin scroll system allows.
The result of the superior scavenging effect from a twin scroll design is better pressure distribution in the exhaust ports and more efficient delivery of exhaust gas energy to the turbocharger’s turbine. This in turn allows greater valve overlap, resulting in an improved quality and quantity of the air charge entering each cylinder. In fact, with more valve overlap, the scavenging effect of the exhaust flow can literally draw more air in on the intake side while drawing out the last of the low-pressure exhaust gases, helping pack each cylinder with a denser and purer air charge. As we all know, a denser and purer air charge means stronger combustion and more power... but the benefits of twin-scroll design don’t end there. With its greater volumetric efficiency and stronger scavenging effect, higher ignition delay can be used, which helps keep peak combustion temperature in the cylinders down. Since cooler cylinder temperatures and lower exhaust gas temperatures allows for a leaner air/fuel ratio, twin scroll turbo design has been shown to increase turbine efficiency by 7-8 percent (faster spool, quicker response) and result in fuel efficiency improvements as high as 5 percent. It is wise to size the turbine housing A/R larger than the single scroll turbine A/R typically used!

Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:20 am
Junior Forum User

Alot of high dollar kits are this way...

I guess I could do something like this too, but it's alot of extra plumbing.. This is a Subaru kit.

Now that I look at more setups, I'm thinking that i should keep both of them gates closer together. I'll see what I can come up with, space it tight there... :?

Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:25 am
CCFBG Club Member

ya, you could join the 2 into one like that.

9.06@155 mph, small block pump gas with 3.42's bird
8.14@166 mph, big block on 250 shot monza

Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:10 am
Junior Forum User

New vid of the 3900V6 @ 15 psi.

This was a 6.81 @ 106 MPH 1/8 mile. So that converts to a mid 10 second pass. Car is just too much fun on the street now. I drive it to work, and around town no issues, doesn't overheat or anything.

No rollcage yet, needless to say I need one.

So far this year I must have 200+ 1/8 mile passes, it just runs !

And a slower run (7.1) at a medium 10 psi boost setting.

I run a sportman class and usually run 4 psi and it runs 7.50 there. (being able to run a low 4 psi is proof that my w/gates are working very very well.) Overall very happy with this setup. Giving the V8 guys FITS. I paid 250$ for this junkyard motor and it's stupid powerful. haha.

All vids taken from the new track up north KING OF THE NORTH DRAGWAY. Come up and visit. :) Beautiful 1/8 track.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:14 pm
Operations Team

That's freakin awesome man you got that setup dialed in. Gives me some ideas to turbo my sixer in my 69.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:15 pm
Profile WWW
CCFBG Club Member

That's pretty with the Camaro. Go work.
The Cav with the Rotrex SC how did you come up with that?
Where did you get the SC for it.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:18 pm
Junior Forum User

It was a rotrex blower C30-94.

I believe it was for a Nissan 350Z kit that someone was parting out on ebay. I snatched it up and mounted the SC where the A/C compressor was..

intercooled it. ran very well.

Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:36 am
CCFBG Club Member

lol Thats very funny. I sold my 1994 Cav Conv with it on, I build that car my self. I was the first one with that. I came up with this. LOL funny. The s/c I got it from API tuning. That S/C is for VW. LOL I sold my Cav about 8 years ago. I will look for pic if I can find them.
Thanks
Andrew

Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:49 pm
Junior Forum User

So I decided to turn the boost up to 15 psi... Ran a braket race against a ZX9R and pulled it the whole way. I dialed in a 10.99 and broke out bigtime. So far the engine must have 300+ passes on it at 5 psi. (around 7.6 1/8 - 12.10 1/4 mile)

So there, low 12 to a mid 10 with the push of a button. Turbo cars are fun. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUgIcavXeZ8

Drove her to work all last week too, groceries once, taught my gf how to drag race it as well.

Still don't have a rollbar, but it's in the plans.

Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4