View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Dana 44 rebuilder wanted in the GTA 
CCFBG Club Member

Post Re: Dana 44 rebuilder wanted in the GTA
cam wrote:
^ What exactly are the issues with it?

In a word, it's noisy. More than any other I can compare it to. Starting at about 70 kph and up to 85 or so, the gears start to "howl" (for lack of a better word). Below that speed and above it sounds fine. Now at 85 k or so, everything gets louder so it may be noisy at high vehicle speeds but for the most part it's in the range I've described. Coasting a those speeds reduces the noise.
I had it on the bench a 2nd time to examine all of the compenents and nothing appeared unusual. Consulting the gear manufacture didn't result in any ideas although I was offered a free examination of the gear set if I was to return it to them.
All of the preloads checked out. Tooth contact also looked good before and after the 2nd teardown. Backlash too. All in all it seemed a simple enough job to refresh but it didn't turn out that way.
At this point I don't care to spend more any time working on it. I'd like a competent shop to take it in as a total rebuild and hand it back to me. Some kind of warranty would be nice too. At least some recourse should the same issue come up after they've had there hands on it.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:23 pm
Senior Forum User

Noisy under power is not nearly as good as noise under decel or coast. Considering the age and use/abuse of these cars now, a lot of third gens diffs out there are tweaked, the torque arm puts a hell of a lot of load on the pinion area of the pumpkin on higher power cars and can mess up the angle of incidence between the pinion and ring leading to unsolvable issues. Heck some diffs are so tweaked Im amazed that they still worked. Ive also seen axle tubes bent as much as 5-10 degrees!!! Which adds up to visually noticeable deflection with your naked eye if you look at it out of the car. One good hard hit over a bad bump is enough to do this to one or both of your axle tubes. If its tweaked enough the axles get bound up a little bit at the splines and this too can lead to "strange noise" and increases in parasitic hp losses.

I can appreciate your effiorts spent chasing this, I too had one particular housing that simply could not be made to run quiet even, though the gear set up ( heck I set it up 4-5 times with three different sets of gears lol ) was bang on, it was just the nature of the beast with that particular housing, so I made the guy another one, on the house, after visiting his place numerous times until we fixed the issue. That was no fun lemme tell ya

1987 IROC ww 99 LS1,TR224/112, STG2 heads ported by American Speed, P Gold springs, LS6 intake, SVO 30's, Ported TB, Comp Cromo Push rods, Katech Rod bolts, LS6 oil pump, T56, SW LT's, 8.8 hybrid rear 3.73, 275/40/17 MT ET streets, lots more
12.1 @ 112 mph 1.69 60'

89 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car all stock.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:27 am
Senior Forum User

Sent you a PM.

My Trans Am friend says he is very familiar with them, especially for racing.

He has designed and built, raced and supported many race cars including TA1 and TA2 Trans Am cars. The last few years he ran Gateway Racing at Mosport. The money man recently closed shop and Blaise has opened his own shop east of the track towards Peterborough.

His email is blaise.csida@bcracecars.com

Contact him and let him know I sent you. This is a serious race shop, not a guy in a garage. Let me know haw this works out.

He is in Florida right now for the opening Trans Am weekend at Sebring.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:09 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Doug Phillips wrote:
Sent you a PM.

My Trans Am friend says he is very familiar with them, especially for racing.

He has designed and built, raced and supported many race cars including TA1 and TA2 Trans Am cars. The last few years he ran Gateway Racing at Mosport. The money man recently closed shop and Blaise has opened his own shop east of the track towards Peterborough.

His email is blaise.csida@bcracecars.com

Contact him and let him know I sent you. This is a serious race shop, not a guy in a garage. Let me know haw this works out.

He is in Florida right now for the opening Trans Am weekend at Sebring.

Thanks for that Doug.
I'll give him a few days to decompress after the race weekend and fire off an e-mail to him the middle of next week.
I'll be thrilled if this pans out.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:31 pm
Senior Forum User

Be advised that he is supporting three cars in Sebring but will also be doing Homestead next week with one of the guys.

I expect he will be picking up emails though so might be worth sending your info.

Blaise is nothing but professional so he can also give you great advice in moving forward.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:44 pm
CCFBG Club Member

I saw the back to back events and figured a guy would probably hang out in Florida if he could. A 50 car field and possibly another 50 next weekend. Wild.
He'll get something within a week. I'll be sure to mention your name.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:25 pm
Senior Forum User

1987 IROC ww 99 LS1,TR224/112, STG2 heads ported by American Speed, P Gold springs, LS6 intake, SVO 30's, Ported TB, Comp Cromo Push rods, Katech Rod bolts, LS6 oil pump, T56, SW LT's, 8.8 hybrid rear 3.73, 275/40/17 MT ET streets, lots more
12.1 @ 112 mph 1.69 60'

Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:48 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Hey Smokey! Do YOU repair Dana 44s?

Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:42 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Smokey aside, Doug's friend Blaise, a Trans Am racer and shop owner, has contacted me and has expressed an interest in helping sort this thing out. From all accounts he has experience with the same model D44 and that's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll have to wait a bit until he's back in the country but that's fine with me.
Thanks for the lead Doug. Much appreciated.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:10 pm
Senior Forum User

Hahaaa yep of course :ohno

In all seriousness though, it sure sounds like your in good hands, best of luck with it.

Now someone get on the horn and sort out this weather, HEAT bring on the summer!!!

12.1 @ 112 mph 1.69 60'

Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:18 pm
CCFBG Club Member

cam wrote:

Now someone get on the horn and sort out this weather, HEAT bring on the summer!!!

Yeah! What HE said.
(Although secretly, I don't mind the cold weather around for a bit yet. It keeps me out of my unheated garage/shop. I have too many winter projects left to complete and once its warm enough the hotrod trumps all!)

Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:44 pm
CCFBG Club Member

My opportunity to hook up with Blaise at BC Race Cars has kind of dried up as I'm now on a very tight timeline and it comes at a point when BC Race Cars is ramping up for the Trans Am home opener at Mosport. The engine is still in the tuning phases although it's functional and has already seen a few thousand kms this season.
Looks like my re-builder of choice will be Jim at Rock Spyder 4x4 (Markham). I really wanted to focus on a shop that have built these Dana 44s before. Although I've heard it said that one differential is like another, I'm a believer in experienced hands getting better results.
Having met with Jim yesterday, I have no doubt that I'll get what I'm after. Silence! A new ring and pinion plus an installation kit will set me back a little over a grand. This will also get me to the front of the line in what looks to be a very busy shop.
Thanks for the suggestions and input from everyone that's offered.

Sun May 04, 2014 11:20 am
Senior Forum User

Curious what happened with Blaise. Did you not plan ahead with him? I dropped my truck off after race yesterday. Dropped a drive shaft taking fourth at 125 mph. He is doing some work for me after the TA race in two weeks.

Good luck with the other guy.

Mon May 05, 2014 8:27 pm
CCFBG Club Member

Sorry Doug. I meant to keep you in the loop but as it turns out by the time I was ready, Blaise's schedule started to ramp up and we mutually agreed to pull the plug. I knew the timing would be tight (leaving town the beginning of June) and unfortunately it turned out this way. It was important for me that whoever took on the project would have the chance for a test drive first otherwise I would have hauled the axle out and dropped it off.
Thanks for the connection just the same.

Mon May 05, 2014 9:03 pm

You should contact Alex at (905) 564-8998 The Gear Centre. This company is the largest drivetrain provider in Canada. They stock all makes differentials, Posi units, Tremec transmissions...etc. If you mention that you saw them at Motorama 2019 you get an additional 15% off your purchase. They are located at 7337 Pacific Circle, Mississauga, ON.

Tue May 28, 2019 7:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2