View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 My car, from the begining 
Forum Moderator

Post My car, from the begining
well i have been meaning to do this for a while now, so here goes

I originally had a 1986 camaro, in it i had a 327 that i had rebuilt, after alot of hard work i finally got the thing to run a 13.9 at 98mph in the quarter. when i bought the car in 1994 it suffered from a bit of rust, but i patched that up untill 1996 when i got a decent paying job. i origianlly didnt plan on painting the car that year, but while i was at a bush party, some old friends of mine( that i no longer cared to be around) decided to use the car as a dance floor, unfortunaly i have lost all of the pictures of the damage, but after arguing with the insurance company they agreed to pay to have the damage fixed, i payed for the rest of the paint job. Now no laughing when you look at these pics of the car, i wanted a different paint sceme, and i got it, although now i wonder why i did it, lol

i looked like this until about 2002, and than i did something stupid, i pulled up the carpet, and noticed the floor looked pretty bad, this is where the moment of stupidity set in, i decided to strip the 86 and find another shell.

now i am not saying that i dont like my 84 z28, but i had more fun in the 86 than i can ever have in the 84.

Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:02 pm
Forum Moderator

now onto the 1984, i found this car in the spring of 2002, and let me tell you it was in very sad shape when i first saw it, i noticed a little bit of mud in the rear quarters, nothing that looked to bad, the floors were solid, but it had been hit pretty hard on the passengers front, me being the nieve and trusting soul that i was i beleived when the guy told me there was no frame damage, lol, yeah right, i soon learned how wrong he was. so after paying 1200 bucks i brought it home, where i ripped the front end of it, only to find this was the second time it was in a front end collision. Being ashamed of being scammed, I put on the cowl hood, new fenders , new front nose cone, and than dropped the 327 and the 700r4 from the 86 into the car. unfortunately for me it wouldnt pass an e-test,lol, hell it would drive by an etest place and make the other cars that they were e-testing fail. It wsa at this point in time i made my mind up, to never make this a show car, I decided to make this a driver, something i could go out and beat on, daily, and never have an issue with it, boy was i ever a dreamer when i was younger.

Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:16 pm
Operations Team

wow looked like a lot of work that went into that beast...

Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:18 pm
Profile WWW
Forum Moderator

i guess i should also mention that i also did someting else foolish in the begining of 2002, i proposed to my wife, and as the year went by, it was decided that the z28 had to be finished for the wedding, So when we decided on the date(july 11 2003) i realized i had alot of work to do. It was by than the late fall, and i had no clue who was going to do the body. well needless to say i ad very littl echoice, and with a wedding coming up, very little money, i went to a friend of my aunts, who did body work on the side, he agreed to do it(lol sucker) and in january of 2003 the car rolled into his garage.( after getting it stuck in my yard, damn that was a wet january). He let me strip the interior out of it, and all of the lights, t-tops and all of the weather stripping, than the real work started. He tore into the body, and i was attempting to fix the holes that were not in the floor when i bought the car.

Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:24 pm
Forum Moderator

Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:27 pm
Forum Moderator

wow looked like a lot of work that went into that beast...

yes alot of work went into, way to much, if i had to do it again, well i wouldnt, lol.

Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:30 pm
Forum Moderator

okay as you can see the drivers side had the lower quarter panel smashed on it(long before i got the car) and i new there was some mud in the passengers quarter as well, what i didnt know is that the rear passenger quarter had actually been replaced at some point in time, and instead of grinding it in smooth, heaped a whole crap load of mud over top of it to cover it, believe it or not, to make the quarter look smooth, they dented where they welded the panel in, and not just a little bit.

after a whole lot of grinding, and sanding, and metal smoothing we were able to get the quarter back to where it should almost be

Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:46 pm
Forum Moderator

Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:54 pm
Forum Moderator

now i know alot of people are shaking there heads at this, but believe it or not, there is alot less mud in this car than you would think, in truth we removed about 10 times the amount of mud from the car, than what went back in. And although the body is not perfect, its good enough until i can get it in for a full restoration(someday when i win the lottery)

Now on to paint, i had a hell of a time trying to decide on the colour, i knew black was out, but i was thinking a burgandy with the silver ground effects, but in the end decided on a dark blue, to match a model i had at home

Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:15 pm
Forum Moderator

Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:22 pm
Forum Moderator

alot of work Mike :shock:

lol, thats an understatement, in order to help keep costs down i ended up doing alot of work that i absolutley hate doing, i dont like body work, i never have. And helping with this car almost made me hate it(the car that is). I mean i was helping 4 nights a week, after work for about 5 hours a night, and the car still didnt seem to be getting closer to done for the first 2 weeks it was in the shop. i had over 40 hours into the body myself with removing mud, panels, cutting the rust out of the floor, sanding the floors inside the car(what a pain that was).

But in the end i think it was worth the time spent, i still have to chase a couple of small runst issues on the floor now and than, but the body work has help up good over the last 5 years. Oh yeah one more thing before i go onto the engine removal for the tpi, I remove my interior once every year, this is the reason why, i found that the underlay never gets dry, and having t-tops causes the floor to rust out, from the inside. When i bought this car the floors looked solid from underneath, but in reality, they were probably as bad as my 1986 camaro

Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:31 pm
Forum Moderator

well on to the motor and drivetrain, since i have owned the car there have been 3 different motors in it, the original 305(which i took out about 1 month after i bought the car, and i probably should have left in until the car was e-tested), the 327, and the 5.7 tpi motor. all of these motors were hooked up to a 700r4 transmission, well 2 different transmission actually, :oops: .
Now about a year after i put the 327 in the car, the motor developed a huge oil leak, i figured it was the rear main seal, so My cousin Richard and i set to work, and pulled the motor. after getting the motor out we figured out it wasnt the rear main, but the intake gasket at the back had started leaking real bad, oh well, while the motor was out i decided to change some stuff. I replaced the seals and gaskets, repainted the block, and changed from the edelbrock performer rpm, to a stock intake i picked up off hawk (to become emissions complaint). I also got rid of the dual exhaust and put on a set of hooker 2055 headers and y-pipe. I also took off the demon carb and went back to a quadrajet. This definately castarated the car, but it still drove not to bad. About a month after putting the cast intake on it, i bought a ZZ4 intake and put on the car, to help get some of the power back.

Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:17 pm
Forum Moderator

LOL onto the next motor swap, well i was happy with the car for the summer of 2005, until the car decided to surprize me on the ms cruise. It was at this point in Port Burwell when a group of us decided to get pictures on the beach that the car decided to burp, and it spit gas all over the intake. That scared the crap out of me, and i believe it was tim who was making fun of me, saying i should get a tpi and put it in. so that is what i did.
i picked up a stock rebuilt l98 with wiring harness and all sensors.

Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:44 pm
Forum Moderator

except if memory serves it turned out not to be stock at all, with some might swirl port heads 8)

Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:46 pm
Forum Moderator

now i know i went about the backwards i should have modified the l98 before i installed it, but it was a decent running motor so i installed it stock, so that i could work the bugs out of it. And wow, once again i lost a bunch of power, but god damn, the car ran great, gas mileage was awesome, it started every time, and it was a nice car to drive. unfortunately the power really got to me. So 1 year later, right after the ms cruise again, i pulled the motor, sanded down under the hood, and replaced the a-frame with a sandblasted and freshly painted piece(curtousy of hawks 1992 z28). I also picked up a aftermarket intake, and a set of trick flow heads. I also picked up a t56. And this is where the car sits today. Still in pieces, but hopefully closer to being finished.

Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 119 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next