View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 My car, from the begining 
Forum Moderator

except if memory serves it turned out not to be stock at all, with some might swirl port heads 8)

yes, it had a set of swirl ports on it, and an unidentified camshaft, but i have taken care of those issues now, lol. and hopefully i can post up some newer pics of the motor, when i get it installed over my layoff. Hopefully

Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:02 pm
Forum Moderator

I am looking forward to seeing it at the track when its all done 8) I bet them trickflows u got will work good :D

Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:07 pm
Forum Moderator

I am looking forward to seeing it at the track when its all done 8) I bet them trickflows u got will work good :D

hopefully next summer, it will depend on how long i am without work

Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:08 pm
Forum Moderator

What are you planning to use for an Adjustable Fuel Presure Regulator with the FIRST set-up?

Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:11 pm
Forum Moderator

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

they recommended the aeromotive one, but it doesnt have a gauge port, so i am sort of leaning towords the mallory piece

Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:17 pm
Forum Moderator

I like the Mallery one too, it also goes up higher in PSI (100psi vs 60psi), I was all set to order the FIRST set-up last week, when low and behold TPIS came out with an EGR Mini Ram..... now I am torm between what one to get :oops:

I like the low end drivability grunt with the FIRSt set-up and the LTR look, but the Mini ram i could use the same cam I have and the tuning wouldnt be far off my current HSR. Make's me really interested in how yours performs 8)

Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:24 pm
Senior Forum User

Alot of work went into the prep alone on that car. turn out nice 8)I would of used aircraft stripper on the engine bay alot faster then sanding all the paint off, and it is cheaper than sandpaper :wink:

Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:16 pm
Forum Moderator

Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:43 pm
Senior Forum User

I love that FIRST T.P.I setup may i ask if you kno of any dyno #'s on it and how much it cost you. I love the look of the TPI but carbed or switching to a HSR are the cheapest for upgrading the induction system. And Adrian do you kno much about this setup, Does the LTR setup fall short of the HSR or the LT1 converion intake. Sorry for intruding on your thread.

Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:10 pm
Forum Moderator

i am not sure on the dyno numbers, as for cost i bought it when the dollar was 93 cents, and to my door with shipping and brokerage was about 1100 bucks

Good news though, the engine and tranny are in, bad news, the clutch seems a little stiff, so not sure something might be up with that, not sure yet, going to look into it tomorrow.

One question, does anybody know if the slave cylinder for the clutch(part that bolts into the tranny) needs that little white cap that holds the slave from extending itself left on it,

Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:56 am
Senior Forum User

I do belive the plastic clip is there to keep the piston from over extending while it's shipped but you remove it when you install it.

Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:34 am
Forum Moderator

I love that FIRST T.P.I setup may i ask if you kno of any dyno #'s on it and how much it cost you. I love the look of the TPI but carbed or switching to a HSR are the cheapest for upgrading the induction system. And Adrian do you kno much about this setup, Does the LTR setup fall short of the HSR or the LT1 converion intake. Sorry for intruding on your thread.

It is the best LTR set-up for the TPI's, cant really compair it to the LT1 or the HSR as they are more HP/RPM set-ups and a LTR is more a TQ set-up, but peeps have been known to run 12's with this intake and the right combo under it.

The FIRST base has been flow tested to flow over 300cfm per runner, thats more then the HSR at 275cfm per runner. I have yet to see the flow numbers of the external runners but I would predict thats were you are loosing alot of flow/time with the FIRST. The mighty MiniRam flows in around 285cfm but with its stuby 3.5" runners that airs getting down there fast.

The TB on the FIRST flows 835cfm and is 71.mm, thats plenty of air on a LTR set-up for a farly hefty motor, but they will custom make a bigger one apun request.

Here is a copy of an E-mail I recieved from them when asking about a bigger TB and how well it can support boost.
Quote:
Hi Adrian,

We can make you a larger throttle body, however I do not feel that you would need it. We have over 600 hp engines running with this throttle body on them. Most dyno tests show about 400- 500 cfm being used to make the power. The First intake has no problem with boost, there are many twin turbo vehicles with the First out there. We do have egr provision for the First intake.

Thanks Ken

The FIRST base will work on the 1206 port for some of the bigger heads and ther is plenty of porting room on it.

Here is the only 1/4 mile comparision to the HSR that I personlay know of

BadSS wrote:
----
As far as intakes go,,, it's all about what you want from the car. I liked the FIRST on the IROC,, because of the midrange boost from the longer runners. It pulled almost as hard as the fully ported base and "customized" SLP runners - I took them on and off the car grinding a little,, then doing three or four vericom (g-tech) passes until the ETs and MPH leveled off. It was as "tuned" as it could be for that combination and the FIRST right out of the box performed better over all.

I liked the StealthRam,, but missed the midrange rush of the old TPI - although I did like how the car could hook decently on street tires,, something impossible to do with the old TPI/SLP combo,,, and how well it ran from a kick. The FIRST is middle of the road,, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It moved the power band up a few hundred RPM compared to the fully ported TPI/SLP combo,,, but not as high as the StealthRam.

Power band wise:
TPI/SLP - off idle to 5500 rpm - high-12.9s@105mph
FIRST - 2000 - 5800 - mid-12.5s@107mph
HSR - 3000 - 6400 - low-12.6s@108
ETs are for similar conditions with temps in the high 80s

A buddy with a 13.0 LS car would pull ever so slightly away from me with the old TPI/SLP combo from a 60mph kick. I could blow his doors off with either the HSR or the FIRST - with the HSR being a steady even pull while the FIRST would really put it on him on the initial hit and kinda tapered off a bit. That same 13.0 car could hand over the TPI/SLP combo on street tires,, bad,, I could not hook the thing. Again,, with the StealthRam and the FIRST I could flat blow his doors off,,, but the FIRST was harder to hook. Like I said,, it all depends on what you're looking for. I never ran a ported FIRST on the IROC, but would have expected about a .12 reduction in ETs over the box stock FIRST with relatively minor port work / clean-up. Not that it's bad out of the box,,, it's just sized to a stock exit,, and it turns down into it. The injector bumps are also quite large and can be dang near flattened out.

Hope that helps.

As far as popularity,,, there's basically no advertisement or marketing done on the FIRST. It's all word of mouth. I haven't seen many people running them,,, but those that are seem very pleased with the results. I have feeling that there will be a few more reports on the FIRST over at corvetteforums.com as soon as the guys participating in the FIRST group buy installs them.

The FIRSt set-up come's pretty much complete (Base, Runners, Plenum, FuelRails, Throttle Body, brackets, ect ect...) so at first you might think it is pricey, but add up the cost of the Edelbrock base, runners and a TB then compair it to what you get with the FIRST, not to mension the better performance, and the fact you can sell off the complete stock TPI minus the harness/ECM.

You do have to buy an AFPR seporate were as it comes with the HSR and the Mini, that bit I didnt like but, eh

To sum it up I beleive Mikes set-up has the potential of being a really nice street car system with its mid RPM powerband and still have the mean spider LTR TPI look to it.

I hope that helps, But as everyone knows me, I am biast, and TPI's RULE!! :twisted: :lol:

Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:17 am
Forum Moderator

this poor guy only ran 14.0 @98mph with a 417ci sbc TBI, swapped on a FIRST and got 13.1 @107.7mph

I h8 Toilet Bowl Injection :lol:

Group purchase for the intake over on Thirdgen.org
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/group ... ost3964043

Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:36 am
Senior Forum User

Thanks Adrian, i love the TPI look aswell, They are a real b**ch to work on but i love the low end torque. 1100 shipped to the door is better than upgrading the stock tpi system $500 for base$400 for runners $4-500 if you need a t/b i love the first sytem. at this time i think the little 305 is ok with the stock setup. But thats definatly the best option for anyone to upgrade their TPI system. I have never herd of this setup until yesterday.

Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:37 pm
Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next